Dr. Oppenheimer has provided expert testimony in a number of U.S. Congressional hearings over the last several decades. Below are selected recent testimonies, plus one that may be of historical interest.
- January 2022: Scientists’ amicus brief to the Supreme Court of the United States, West Virginia, et al. v. Environmental Protection Agency, et al. - a key Supreme Court case on CO2 regulation under the Clean Air Act. Prepared by Michael Oppenheimer, Noah Diffenbaugh, Christopher Field, Stephen Pacala, Daniel Schrag, and Susan Solomon. 2022-climatescientists-amicuscuriae-epa-20-1530.pdf
- March 12, 2021: Testimony before the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, U.S. House of Representatives, The Science Behind Impacts of the Climate Crisis. Oppenheimer_testimony_2021.pdf
- April 9, 2019: Testimony before the Subcommittee on Environment: Climate Change, The History of a Consensus and the Causes of Inaction, U.S. House of Representatives. A video of Dr. Oppenheimer's testimony is available on YouTube (Testimony from minute 55:18 to 1:04:17; Oppenheimer and representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez dialogue at 1:52:00). oppenheimer-houseoversight-envsubcom-2019apr9.pdf
- May 29, 2014: Testimony before the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, U.S. House of Representatives mo_house_testimony_may_29_2014_final.pdf
- June 23, 1988: Testimony before the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, U.S. Senate june_23_1988_oppenheimer_testimony.pdf